Questions to Ask Home Care Agencies
Questions for Home Care Agencies
Business Information – Services Provided
- How long has your agency been in business?
- What is the background/experience of the owner?
- Does the agency have a fully staffed office?
- Can I interview the caregiver before accepting care?
- Is a personalized plan of care developed with me during the assessment?
- Does the agency have the capacity to accommodate a full range of home care needs – from light duty companion care to heavy care, including end of life care?
- Do you have a nurse on staff?
- Do you provide Certified Nursing Assistants?
- Do you provide skilled care?
- What is the minimum shift?
- How much is your hourly rate?
- How much is your overnight rate?
- How much is your 24 hour shift rate?
- Are there any restrictions against accompanying the client outside the home or driving a car?
- Are home care workers agency employees (with benefits and insurance)?
- Do you 1099 or W-2 your workers?
- Is your agency bonded (insured against theft)?
- Do you have proof of liability coverage?
- Is/are the caregiver(s) available for emergencies and/or on short notice?
Caregiver Qualifications (Training, Licensing, Background Checks)
- Are all your home care workers licensed or certified?
- What types of background checks are done with your workers?
- Do caregivers receive a thorough orientation by a supervisor on safety issues, agency procedures, and care goals and standards before placement?
- Do caregivers write daily care notes with a copy left for the client and eligible family members?
- Can you furnish references for your workers that I can check? If not, do you have any client satisfaction survey results you can share with me?
- Do you accept long term care insurance?
- Does the agency pay the worker’s Social Security and taxes?
- What is the cost for overtime, if the worker stays late?
- When is payment due? (e.g. at the end of each visit? Weekly? Monthly?)
- Are all costs and fees listed on a written statement?
- What is the hourly or daily charge for one person? For a couple?
- What is the mileage charge for trips to the doctor or shopping?
- What does it cost to buy out a caregiver?
- Are workers supervised? If so, by whom?
- Will a supervisor visit or call the client’s home?
- Do you arrange regular conversations with the family about the client’s case?
- To whom can the client or family ask questions or make complaints?
- How does the agency follow up on/resolve problems or complaints?
- Are workers available 24 hours, 7 days a week?
- Is there always a management person or owner available take a call?
© Copyright Reserved, Eldercare Specialists, LLC, May 2009 Version 1.0